Sunday, February 8, 2009

Romanticizing a Blanket

So I know this is two days late, but I thought it was by sunday, not Friday. But anyways, something I find very over-romanticized and laugh at every time I see on TV is infomercials, but my favorite overly dramatic infomercial would have to be Snuggies. The commercial can be found here. Sure we all love a good blanket in front of a fireplace, and who doesnt like being warm when its cold, but the snuggie commercials go a bit far. Is it really that difficult to pick up a phone, read a book, or do simple tasks in a normal blanket? I for one have ever experienced blanket-induced disabilities, and when Im cold at a sporting event, I wear a coat. I usually dont mind a good infomercial, they give a little unintended comic relief, but Snuggies may go a bit far in romanticizing their product. The commercials make Snuggies seem like a necessity, without which you could never be comfortable. And then they even go farther and portray the snuggie as a sociably normal thing. I for one, and I dont know anyone else who would, would never wear basically a bathrobe around town. So although a Snuggie might be warm and nice around the home, it cant be very different from a normal blanket, and the benefits of simply a backwards bathrobe are incredibly over-romanticized and exaggerated. It may not be very practical, but it does work well as just a comedic relief among a million boring commercials

No comments: